Saturday, September 20, 2008

To sash or not to sash, that is the question.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm making a quilt for Brian's Gram. It's made with material she purchased and had cut ages ago. I had to figure out what the pattern was supposed to be, and sew it all up. She gave it to me, but she doesn't know I'm giving her the quilt. (I don't think Gram reads my blog, if you do Gram, how about you just act suprised)

So I finished making the blocks. I mean, I think this is what they were supposed to look like. There are any number of patterns you can make with tirangles and squares. There was a half sewn block that gave me the idea that this is what was ment to be.

Phew, I tend to ramble.

Ok I'm thinking I like the idea of sewing them right together like this, then a thin border of the white then a fatter border of the blue. I have a medium blue for the backing and I don't know what I'll bind it with. Does that sound good to everyone? Other options are doing sashing with the white or blue, then a border with the other. Or reverse that, or no border, no sashing, but then it would be pretty small. And I'm almost certain that I will stitch in the ditch for quilting. I am considering hand quilting hearts into the white squares as well. We will see how fed up with this project I am at that point. Maybe just the white squares that are in the middle of the mostly blue blocks?
So there you have it? Sashing? Borders? White or blue? Binding color? Can I just stitch in the ditch or do I need to stitch huge X's in the squares to match the triangle bits.

Oh and for the record, stinking UFO WIP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a thin border of the white then a fatter border of the blue. Have you ever brought the backing to the front to do the binding? That is the one and only way I have ever done the binding. I think that would look nice. As for the quilting part, I'm not sure, but doing hearts in the centers of the blocks does sound really nice. I looked in the book I am sending you and that design is called "Lone Star". Hope I was some help! :)

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Erin, if you are going to use sashing, what about using the light blue from the back for the sashing and then, as mentioned above, bind from the back to the front and this way it would give continuity of the backing, sashing and pull it all to the front.

Just a thought. I love what you've done so far. I'm eager to see what you decide and the end quilt.

Chelsey said...

Im not a quilter so i cant suggest how to bund it but i do like the idea of sewing heats on the plan center blocks. check out this cute pillow http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=fp_feat_2&listing_id=9035461