Thursday, October 30, 2008

Creepy Cakes

So this is how it happened. Brian wanted me to make baked goods for his office. His company cut VOE spending which is how they fund goodies and Pizza Friday and such. So I'm going to step right in and bake for those guys once a month. It's the least I can do.

So I wanted to make some fun cupcakes. I wanted to make them this week because Brian's big boss is in town, and I'm a kiss up even if Brian isn't. haha. I originally wanted to make either a pizza cake (to morn the loss of pizza friday) or to pipe "VOE" on the cakes. But then I was afraid the boss wouldn't see the humor. Although Brian did say he's cool and would think it was funny.

So I decided to go with eyeballs instead. I mean it IS Halloween this week. I was going to pipe the colored part of the eyes, but I figured if I did the candies the boys could help me. So here they are. (I made 50, not 4, these were the first decorated)I also needed a cake for a church function on Saturday. It's our Fall Festival, which is really a Halloween Party, but being church we call it Fall Festival. Being a Halloween fan myself I made this: Because eating eyes is yum.

The cakes are all deep dark chocolate cake. Want my recipe? Ok then:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
two sticks butter
4 eggs
2-3 tsp vanilla
1 to 1 1/4 of the DARKEST baking powder your shop sells. I used Giradelli dark for a while, but this time I used Hershey Special Dark as it's all they had and it worked. The point is get dark, and then we are using WAY more than any other cake recipe I've seen.
tablespoon baking soda
some salt (I don't measure, about half a teaspoon maybe?)
about 1 1/2 cup sour cream. I used to measure not I just dump the whole thing of sour cream in.
1 1/3 cup boiling water.

Mix that up (you know, butter and sugar and eggs together then add the other stuff) and bake at 350 until done. (different for different cake pans/cupcakes and what not)

The cakes are really dark, almost black. They are not very sweet. I like to top them with a basic buttercream for sweetness.

Oh and it makes a TON. I made 50 mini cupcakes AND this large eye cake with one batch. I adapted it from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com called "Sandy's Chocolate Cake" But with my adjustments. Click HERE for the original, which is delicious too, I basicly just made it darker.

And to see even CUTER creepy cupcakes check out Lulu Carter's post HERE. I love creepy cute food.


2 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Oh YUMMY! You are so great to step up and give them treats! HIGH FIVE!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Heeheehee! Love these. Eyeball eating quintessential Halloween activity! :O)